Playing with Plastic

Thursday, September 27, 2012 , , 0 Comments


The life of a graduate student is irregular at best and schizophrenic at its worst times. Between the pressure to maintain a 3.5 GPA, yes that is the minimum I can have to remain in the program, and professors which assign 1000+ pgs per week, life can be stressful at times. Fishing is my zen, and behind learning, my greatest passion. Whether a fly rod or conventional, time on the water is precious. Ultimately, catching fish is no longer the point--though a much added bonus--for me its the equable quality of nature, the process of tying the knots, and the mental puzzle a piece of water presents you with. 

So the other day after several hours studying, I set down my books for an hour and headed to my favorite honey hole to throw some plastics at Largemouth. All in all the bite was great that night, with 12 fish caught within the hour. I started off with a Wacky Rig and later moved to a Jig and Pig. Something about the finesse of fishing plastics combined with the utter awareness and detail you feel through your rod makes it one of my favorite fishing techniques. 


Largemouth on a Wacky Rig. 


Jig and Pig. Always fun to flip and pitch into some dense timber. 


 3 lb Largemouth Bass. For the trailer on the jig and pig I really have been impressed with Yum's Wooly Bullee. 

0 Comments: