Greys Streamflex XF2 Review

Saturday, May 10, 2014 , , 7 Comments



At an MSRP of $250, the Greys Streamflex XF2 may be the best 5 weight in its price class. This medium fast action rod has offerings in the 2-6 wt class and designed for technical nymphing applications. I personally have it in the 5 weight 9 foot option and it is my go to trout rod. The blank, while it won't win any casting competitions, is very forgiving and offers a soft tip for a delicate fly presentation and tight loops. While designed as a nymphing rod it is the stick's versatility that drew me to it. On the water I may walk long distances from my vehicle and leave the option for other rods, so it is important that I have a rod that can adapt to whatever conditions I encounter. The Streamflex's soft tip allows the angler to precisely and gently cast dry flies while it still has enough backbone to throw small to medium streamers and of course nymphing rigs. If nymph fishing I often fish a dual rig with split shot and have no problem casting and getting turnover without hangups. It is at medium distances where this rod excels and it can hold its own at longer casts as well thanks to the power within the blank. If I am on a tailwater or any medium to large trout river you can be sure this is the rod in my hand. My only caveat to the Streamflex is if short distance casts are  required repeatedly as you would find in small technical streams. The Greys can do it but there are better rods for that type of fishery if precision at small distances is your game. Finally, as to the aesthetics, this rod is just gorgeous. The maple reel seat will win you over and adds a real sense of pride to owning the Streamflex. If you are in the market for a new trout rod and looking for something a little more on the economical side, you simply can't go wrong with the Streamflex. Per dollar I am unsure if you could get a better all purpose trout rod. It is a great stick and has given the higher priced rods a run for their money. Are there better 5wt trout rods out there? You bet, but be prepared to fork over at least twice as much money for only marginal improvement. Phenomenal quality at a great price. 

7 Comments:

Al
Everything you said here about the Streamflex is spot on. I have been using the Streamflex 9 ft. 3 wt. for a couple of years, and have been so impressed with the lightness, price and of course the ease of casting this great fly rod. I went with the 3 weight because the trout I am landing on our local tailrace are usually 11 to 12” size, so the 3 weight is the perfect match. I have the rod paired with the Venture Gloomis fly reel which is a perfect balance for me. I am glad to know there is someone else out there in fly fishing land who has found this fantastic fly rod. Thanks for sharing

Atlas said...

Thanks Bill, it really is a great rod and it sounds like you have yours paired with an equally excellent reel. The Streamflex is a bargain as far as I am concerned, you get much more than you pay for.

Unknown said...

I have a buddy looking for a new rod I'll pass this on for him to consider.

Atlas said...

Glad I could offer a suggestion Kevin!

Blake said...

Great looking rod Atlas

Juan said...

Thats a beautiful set up! The next rod in my arsenal will be a 3 wt so I will have to look into this!

Atlas said...

Thanks for the comments Blake and Juan. It really is a nice rod and worth the consideration.