Pond Cranking

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 , 1 Comments


With the high winds this month, when I have been able to get onto the water I have been fly fishing less and engaging in conventional styles a bit more. Coupled with the long hours I have been working at my new job, time on the water has been limited. That said I have been visiting my favorite pond quite often and throwing crankbaits with a lot of success until the past week or so. Fish have been ranging from 1 to 3 1/2 lbs. Green, sexy shad, and bluegill have been my dominant patterns, with a slow steady retrieve being the most productive. All fish have been in 12+ feet of water. 


3 1/2 lb Largemouth. 17-20 Feet Deep. Strike King Series 6 Green. 


Little football shaped 11/2 lb Largemouth. Bluegill pattern. 


Another on the Bluegill pattern.



Ambitious. 


3 lb Largemouth. Sexy Shad Pattern. 15ft Deep. 

As I noted, my last trip was completely unproductive. I have a feeling that with first ice the metabolism of the Bass has slowed considerably, making them reluctant to move for a crankbait. I hope to return later this week or next to test this theory and by using large Texas-rigged worms and Jigs to hopefully catch a few more fish before the pond completely ices over. 

1 Comments:

Nice looking fish...with this warm weather as of late we may not get ice covered until January!