That Will Do

Saturday, May 18, 2013 , , 2 Comments


Went to Clinton Lake hoping for some Crappie fishing today, however after a few hours I had only caught one, which is far more than I saw anyone else catch so it was a fairly frustrating day, that is until I was leaving and I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough it was a large school or Carp feeding on the surface. The problem... I only had a few flies with me and those that I did have were deep diving streamer patterns. However, I can't just pass Carp without throwing some line. I mean honestly, what fly angler with any integrity can. So I planned my strategy. Since they were feeding on the surface and it about 5 feet of water I knew my opportunity to catch them was going to be slim. These flies were sinking fast. If I had any chance I was going to have to cast a few inches in front of their noses and hope they took on the drop, the worst that could happen was I was going to spook them. With winds past 15 mph precision casting was a little hard, but on my fourth cast I landed my obnoxiously bright chartreuse minnow pattern in front of one and he took it like a rockstar. Game on. Not a big guy and in the ensuing battle he scared away all his friends. But first Carp of the year and it made an otherwise unproductive trip worth it. As I headed back to my car, I couldn't help but think, that will do. 

2 Comments:

FishnDave said...

You gotta love it when a fish hits what you think they won't hit! Well done! :)

Atlas said...

Thanks Dave, it was a nice surprise in an otherwise disappointing day of fishing.