50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish: Book Review

Wednesday, December 03, 2014 , 5 Comments


Let me begin by saying, what an awesome book. 50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish by Terry and Wendy Gunn is an incredible resource to those who travel, are looking for destination ideas, or are just wanting to pick up additional information on your favorite fishing spots. Many a night has found me flipping through the pages of this book dreaming of the next trip that may await me. In actuality, the book covers 56 locations, I agree that "50 Best" has a better ring to it than "56 Best", but I am not complaining in getting 6 more. Of those, as of the date of this writing I have been fortunate enough to visit five: Lees Ferry, The Frying Pan, Norfork, White, and Taneycomo; and I can attest to the information given and even for those places I have now fished several times I still learned a lot. Further, had I owned this book in my arsenal prior to arriving I think it would have helped me tighten my line much faster. Each chapter consults a guide in the area for their expertise and includes a map of the area highlighting points of interest, hatches that occur annually, when to expect them, what tackle to bring, and area guides and fly shops. This has become one of my favorite fly fishing books and serves as a great compliment to another great destination book: So Many Fish, So Little Time. This book deserves a place on the bookshelf of every serious angler and will pay itself back several times over in the wealth of information given to you. The only thing I can't promise it will help with is the travel expenses that will result from you purchasing it. Your destination bucket list will easily double, I promise. 


5 Comments:

cofisher said...

I have 50 Best Tailwaters to Fly Fish and I wouldn't be without it. Really well done.

RM Lytle said...

I'm curious, does it have the Farmington River in it?

John said...

I don't suppose it covers waters here in North Wales?

Atlas said...

John it only covers the US unfortunately, and yes RM Lytle it does have Farmington River in it.

looknfishy said...

Great review. Added to my xmas "wish" aka. "gotta have" list