One Fly Tournament 2012

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 , 2 Comments


The Free State Fly Fishing Club held its annual One Fly Tournament this past week. Last year I one with 44 fish and was hoping to hold onto my title. The rules are simple: it is essentially a numbers tournament; most fish wins, only fly fishing is allowed, and you are only allowed one fly; lose the fly and you're out. 

I tied the same fly as last year with what would turn out to be one regrettable twist. I used a larger hook this year. The hook had a wider gap and was much sharper, which I was hoping would result in a higher hook up percentage. This was a mistake, I had forgotten the size of the bass in this pond--I don't believe anyone caught a fish over a pound with most presenting a far more diminutive stature. Time and time again I felt a fish on only to have if come off a few seconds later, my belief is that it was on the tail of the fly and never got past the hook, this in turn probably cost me countless fish. Overall I ended up with 19 Largemouth Bass and One Green Sunfish. Proverbially, what they say is probably true: if its not broke, don't fix it. 

Regardless, I had a blast and the food spread after is enough to make even the most stoic angler salivate. Congratulations to Big Mike on winning this year with 27 fish. 


The fly I tied, a variation off the Crappie Candy. 


Stan and Will. Some of my friendly competitors. 


Average size of the Bass, as you can see the fly may be a tad oversized. 

2 Comments:

Bryan
Outstanding post; really like the streamer pattern and your blog is awesome. I tried to join your follower list but kept getting an error. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for sharing

Atlas said...

Thank you very much sir,I appreciate the kind words. Let me know if you keep getting an error and maybe there is something I can do on my end.