First Wild Rainbow

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 , , 12 Comments


I caught my first wild Rainbow. Yes I have caught many wild Browns and even Brookies over the years but never a wild rainbow. In large part this is due to the majority of the Rainbows in this area are all stockers. Now there is nothing wrong with stocked Rainbows, they for one make our fisheries sustainable despite heavy angler pressure--but there is just something special about catching a wild trout. The exception to the rule in the midwest is a collection of streams in Missouri, these are the key to wild Rainbows in my area. Therefore, with the guidance of fellow blogger, friend, and experienced angler of these waters, Jeff,  I finally was able to visit one of these and cross it off the long held life list. Fishing was technical and the fish were spooky. Despite, the limited time frame I was able to fish, with the help of Jeff's experience and guidance I was successful. To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement. I am sure Jeff would testify that I was grinning ear to ear thereafter. I only caught one but thats all I needed. A beautiful wild Rainbow. Surely I will remember this day for a very long time. 









*Photo credit to several of the photographs belongs to Jeff.  Again, many thanks sir!

12 Comments:

Absolute beautiful stream and the wild trout makes even more special--congrats

Nice! Beautiful rainbow. I love the wild ones they fight so much harder than stocked fish.

Atlas said...

Thank you Bill and Kevin! I was overjoyed to say the least. It was a very special trout and fought like hell!

Blake said...

spectacular colors, kudos on a new first

Daniel said...

Amazing looking trout.

Atlas said...

Thanks guys!

Mark Kautz said...

Way to go. We have some in the creeks upcountry, but they rarely exceed 6 inches. That was a nice one.

Atlas said...

Thank you sir, I was quite happy with this one as a "first" not bad size to him at all.

Mel said...

Hey, Atlas, when I did a substantial amount of stream fishing, the wild Rainbow Trout were my favorite target. I used to write a blog called the Rainbow Chaser. The excitement of the run peeling line from your reel is a tough one to get out of your mind. Congratulations, and, may there be many more!

Atlas said...

Thanks Mel, I appreciate the comment. And yes this guy almost fought like a small, it was impressive. I had to work to keep him out of the timber.

Juan said...

Dude, great looking Rainbow. We're complete opposites. You had not caught a rainbow and I have ONLY caught rainbows! lol no browns, cutbows, cutthroats or any other trout for me yet!

Atlas said...

Juan, haha well I have caught rainbows, just never a wild born rainbow--they were all stockers. The browns and others will come for you my friend. Try throwing that golden oriole i sent you at a bank some evening on a brown trout stream and I would bet you hook up with one!