Early Season Warmwater… Inaction

Friday, April 04, 2014 , , , 12 Comments



Visited a local farm with my cousin, threw line for a little bit until the temps fell below 40*, for which we were unprepared. Didn't have much luck, but we weren't skunked, so I will take it for what it is. Generally this pond is great at producing both Bass and some monster Bluegill, caught one of each over the course of a few hours, nothing remarkable or really even postable, but what the heck, I thought I would share anyhow. Overall the conversation was better than the fishing but sometimes those are the best days. 


An absolute dink of a Bass… 


Decent, but pretty 'Gill

12 Comments:

Beautiful colors on that bluegill, here this fish would be much darker, and not as colorful. Bluegill and trout are hard to beat on the fly rod. Thanks for sharing

Atlas said...

Not a problem, unfortunately these guys weren't on a fly rod but on ultralight. Still a blast to catch though.

Nice gill! The fishing everywhere has been spectacular.

Hibernation said...

Size is not a problem... It's super fun to get after those warm water fish - especially in a little pond like that. Looks like a real fun outing!

Mel said...

I am thinking that is two more than I got. If it ever warms up a little on the Front Range, I have some Bluegill and Crappie work to do. I love fishing ponds.

Atlas said...

Oh it was a blast even if the fishing was slow. Can't wait to try some new flies on these guys as the water warms up.

Juan said...

I've caught much smaller bass than that, brother! haha The gill is nice though!

Atlas said...

Haha yeah I must admit I have too, but he sure was a tiny one. I definitely audibly laughed when I pulled him in.

FishnDave said...

Beautiful Bluegill! Early season and late season...try flyfishing with a 1/80th oz microjig under an indicator. Its the BOMB! :)

Atlas said...

Thanks Dave I will have to try that for sure! Thanks for the tip.

Blake said...

im making a strong effort this year to chase some bluegills, if i could end up with some like that one there i will be in good company

Atlas said...

Blake, I am with you on that. I am hoping to target them much more this year as well.